Broccoli and Stilton Soup
NOTE: A great homemade soup which will help use up left over cheese from those Christmas cheese boards. It is also a very healthy and low fat soup which is great for lunch
1 tbsp oil for frying
3 cloves garlic
1 large onion
2 sticks celery
Vegetable stock cube
Dash of milk
150g to 200g Stilton
Salt and pepper
- Over a medium heat add the 3 cloves of chopped garlic to the oil, add the chopped onion and chopped celery and continue frying until the onion is soft.
- Chop broccoli into small pieces and add to pan, stir thoroughly until mixed together.
- Make up 3/4 pint of vegetable stock and add to pan, add a dash of milk.
- Bring to the boil and then simmer until the broccoli is soft - about 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper
- Crumble in Stilton and stir. Depending on how you like soup either use a hand blender to blend until smooth or if you like a more chunky soup, mash roughly with a potato masher.
Many thanks to Caroline Elliott for her version of this classic soup