Stinging Nettle Soup
NOTE: Collect nettles between March and the beginning of June. After this the nettles become bitter and can also have a laxative effect when eaten. Only use the top six leaves and remove any hard stalks.
200g nettle tops washed and hard stems removed
1 small onion, chopped
1 small potato peeled and diced (approx 150g)
900ml chicken or vegetable stock
Butter or oil for frying
Salt and pepper
- In a suitable saucepan fry the onions in the butter or oil for 5-6mins being careful not to let them brown.
- Add the diced potato and continue frying for another 5 mins
- Add the nettle tops and cook fro 3 or 4 minutes until wilted.
- Pour in the stock, bring to the boil, half cover the pan and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Season and when slightly cooled blitz to smooth consistency.
- Serve with a swirl of cream.