Fast Udon Noodle Soup with Spinach and Spring Onions
NOTE: Macrobiotic. A noodle soup with a light broth base, perfect for lunchtime or with added tofu pieces for a more substantial evening dish. You can leave the Bonito flakes out if you are not keen on fishy flavours.
2 packs udon noodles
2 litres dashi or vegetable stock
4 handfuls baby spinach leaves, cooked 3 minutes until wilted
5 scallions thinly sliced
3 tbs Mirin
3 tbs soy sauce, tamari or mixture of both
Katsuobushi (Bonito) flakes - if available
- Pre-cook udon noodles in salted boiling water until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Drain and rinse under cold water until cool.
- Meanwhile, place stock in a pot and bring to a simmer, add mirin, bring back to a simmer and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add soy sauce and/or tamari and simmer 2-3 mins
- Add the bonito flakes, cook for 1 min before removing
- Serve this broth on top of warm noodles and cooked spinach leaves
- Garnish with sesame seeds, scallions or tofu as required