Moroccan Spiced Rabbit Stew
NOTE: Soak the meat in salted water overnight for extra tenderness. A hint of Moroccan spice and fruit in this recipe gives a tasty twist to this foragers favourite without overpowering the flavour of the meat.
2 medium rabbits jointed
3 rashers of smokey bacon - optional
2 carrots sliced
1 onion sliced
2 cloves garlic crushed
2 stalks celery sliced
50g soft brown sugar or clear honey
50g sliced almonds
2 tsp Ras el Hanout
Couple of sprigs of thyme
150ml red wine
250ml chicken stock
Plain flour, seasoned
Oil for browning
- Heat oil in a large pan, pat the meat dry, season with the flour and fry until browned. Set aside.
- In the same pan fry the carrots, onion, garlic, celery, herbs, spices and bacon, if using, until just starting to brown.
- Add the the wine, stock, sugar, sultanas and almonds and return the meat to the pan.
- Cover the pan and cook in a pre-heated oven at 150C fan for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender and falling away from the bone.
- To continue the Moroccan theme serve with cous cous or, if preferred, it goes equally well with wild rice.