Celeriac and Potato Dauphinoise
NOTE: This recipe is a comforting winter dish with a subtle celery flavour, serve with chick pea burgers or good quality organic sausages and lightly steamed kale.
- 1 Kg of celeriac and floury potato (eg King Edwards)roughly two thirds potato one third celeriac.
- Knob of butter
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 400 mls of milk or a mixture of double cream and milk (all cream if you're feeling decadent)
- Salt and pepper
Heat oven to Mark 3 or 160 degrees
- Rub butter around ovenproof dish
- Split garlic cloves in half and rub around dish. Then chop or crush and add to dish.
- Finely slice peeled celeriac and potato.
- Layer in dish, seasoning each layer and ending with potato layer.
- Add liquid.
Place in oven for 1 1/4 -1 1/2 hours until the vegetables are tender and the sauce is creamy. Check a couple of times to make sure top isn't burning. If so, cover with foil. If looking too dry add a little more milk.
Recipe courtesy of Carolyn Westlake