Product review: Norfolk Chicken Barn 'Ecoflex' poultry house
The Norfolk Chicken Barn is an attractive traditionally shaped coop but that’s where tradition ends with this innovative new product.
Made from Ecoflex – a mixture of recycled polymers and wood byproducts that would normally be burned or dumped in landfill – the coop is weather proof and doesn’t expand and contract like wood meaning it won’t rot, twist, buckle or splinter. The manufacturers say that their products can last up to 4 times as long as equivalent wooden structures.
The slot together system is easily erected, without the need for tools, in under an hour. The instructions refer to numbers that are clearly printed on the parts and the quality of manufacture is such that the whole kit assembles with minimal fuss.
Routine cleaning is achieved by simply removing the roof slats. The Ecoflex construction also has the benefit of being a less attractive habitat for the dreaded red mite however, even if you do get an infestation, any unwanted visitors are easily flushed out.
The coop is quick and easy to assemble – although not this quick!
The Norfolk is suitable for up to six chickens and is available from Handpecked Poultry who will ship nationwide. See the website here or call Tel: 07759 680 160
Most recent Features articles
- Starting with self-sufficiency 05th December, 2017 , sel sufficiency
- Smallholding in Ireland 15th September, 2015
- Applying vintage tools in the 21st century 12th July, 2015
- Product review: Norfolk Chicken Barn ‘Ecoflex’ poultry house 07th August, 2014
- Eastern Promise: Smallholding and self-sufficiency in Bulgaria 07th July, 2014
- Ragwort: menace or maligned? 22nd May, 2014